October 04, 2009

Cap&Trade will require EPA to approve home sale if passed.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Facebook" <notification+arekxrer@facebookmail.com>
To: "R. George Dunn" <rgdunn@veionline.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 04, 2009 9:50 AM
Subject: Susan Senn sent you a message on Facebook...

Susan sent you a message.

Subject: Have you seen this?

This is unbelievable! ! Only the beginning... ..

Wow! home owners take note & tell your friends and relatives who are home

Beginning 1 year after enactment of the Act, you won't be able to sell your
home unless you retrofit it to comply with the energy and water efficiency
standards of this Act.

H.R. 2454, the "Cap & Trade" bill passed by the House of Representatives,
if also passed by the Senate, will be the largest tax increase any of us has
ever experienced. The Congressional Budget Office (supposedly non-partisan)
estimates that in just a few years the average cost to every family of four
will be $6,800 per year. No one is excluded. However, once the lower classes
feel the pinch in their wallets, you can be sure these voters get a tax
refund (even if they pay no taxes at all) to offset this new cost. Thus, you
Mr. and Mrs. Middle Class America will have to pay even more since
additional tax dollars will be needed to bail out everyone else.

But wait. This awful bill (that no one in Congress has actually read) has
many more surprises in it.

Probably the worst one is this: A year from now you won't be able to sell
your house.

Yes, you read that right. The caveat is (there always is a caveat) that if
you have enough money to make required major upgrades to your home, then you
can sell it. But, if not, then forget it. Even pre-fabri cated homes
("mobile homes") are included.

In effect, this bill prevents you from selling your home without the
permission of the EPA administrator.

To get this permission, you will have to have the energy efficiency of your
home measured. Then the government will tell you what your new energy
efficiency requirement is and you will be forced to make modifications to
your home under the retrofit provisions of this Act to comply with the new
energy and water efficiency requirements. Then you will have to get your
home measured again and get a license (called a "label" in the Act) that
must be posted on your property to show what your efficiency rating is; sort
of like the Energy Star efficiency rating label on your refrigerator or air
conditioner. If you don't get a high enough rating, you can't sell. And, the
EPA administrator is authorized to raise the standards every year, even
above the automatic energy efficiency increases built into the Act.

The EPA administrator, appointed by the President, will run the Cap & Trade
program (AKA the "American Clean Energy and Security Act of 2009") and is
authorized to make any future changes to the regulations and standards he
alone determines to be in the government's best interest. Requirements are
set low initiall y so the bill will pass Congress; then the Administrator
can set much tougher new standards every year. The Act itself contains
annual required increases in energy efficiency for private and commercial
residences and buildings. However, the EPA administrator can set higher
standards at any time.

Sect. 202 Building Retrofit Program mandates a national retrofit program to
increase the energy efficiency of all existing homes across America .
Beginning 1 year after enactment of the Act, you won't be able to sell your
home unless you retrofit it to comply with the energy and water efficiency
standards of this Act. You had better sell soon, because the standards will
be raised each year and will be really hard (i.e., ex$pen$ive) to meet in a
few years. Oh, goody! The Act allows the government to give you a grant of
several thousand dollars to comply with the retrofit program requirements if
you meet certain energy efficiency levels. But, wait, the State can set
additional requirements on who qualifies to receive the grants. You should
expect requirements such as "can't have an income of more than $50K per
year", "home selling price can't be more than $125K", or anything else to
target the upper middle class (and that's YOU) and prevent them from
qualifying for the grants. Most of us won't get a dime and will have to pay
the entire cost of the retrofit out of our own pockets. More transfer of
wealth, more "change you can believe in."

Sect. 204 Building Energy Performance Labeling Program establishes a
labeling program that for each individual residence will identify the
achieved energy efficiency performance for "at least 90 percent of the
residential market within 5 years after the date of the enactment of this
Act." This means that within 5 years 90% of all residential homes in the
U.S. must be measured and labeled. The EPA administrator will get $50M each
year to enforce the labeling program. The Secretary of the Department of
Energy will get an additional $20M each year to help enforce the labeling
program. Some of this money will, of course, be spent on coming up with
tougher standards each year. Oh, the label will be like a license for your
car. You will be required to post the label in a conspicuous location in
your home and will not be allowed to sell your home without having this
label. And, just like your car license, you will probably be required to
get a new label every so often - maybe every year. But, the government
estimates the cost of measuring the energy efficiency of your home should
only cost about $200 each time. Remember what they said about the auto smog
inspections when they first started: that in California it would only cost
$15. That was when the program started. Now the cost is about $50 for the
inspection and certificate; a 333% increase. Expect the same from the home
labeling program.

Sect. 304 Greater Energy Efficiency in Building Codes establishes new energy
efficiency guidelines for the National Building Code and mandates at 304(d)
that 1 year after enactment of this Act, all state and local jurisdictions
must adopt the National Building Code energy efficiency provisions or must
obtain a certification from the federal government that their state and/or
local codes have been brought into full compliance with the National
Building Code energy efficiency standards.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be patient on comment approval. Too many places to be. Thanks for your thoughts.