Subject: Getting the Record straight
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 23:54:32 -0500
There has been a great deal of distortion and disinformation about Mike Huckabee's record as governor of Arkansas from 1996-2007. It's important that conservatives know the truth about Huckabee's record, especially since he may run for president again in 2012. So let's take a look at his record. As governor, he:
* Cut the state capital gains tax rate by 25%.
* Abolished capital gains taxes on home sales.
* Abolished the state marriage penalty tax.
* Pushed a $90 million tax cut package through the Arkansas legislature in 1997.
* From 1995 to 2005, cut taxes 90 times, returning nearly $400 million to taxpayers ($378 to be exact).
* Indexed income tax brackets to inflation, thus protecting taxpayers from being pushed into higher tax brackets by inflation.
* Doubled the child-care tax credit.
* Increased the tax deduction for single individuals to $2,000.
* Increased the tax deduction for married couples to $4,000.
* Proposed cutting the executive branch from 50 departments to 10.
* Banned illegal aliens from getting drivers licenses.
* Reduced state welfare enrollment by nearly half.
* Helped pass an unborn child amendment to the state constitution.
* Helped pass a traditional marriage amendment to the state constitution.
* Pushed through a property owners' bill of rights that limited property tax hikes and protected homeowners from unfair tax assessments.
* Pushed through homeschooling-friendly legislation.
* Limited the increase in the overall rate of state spending to 4.9% (AFI)--not bad, considering that he was dealing with a Democratic legislature.
* Protected gun manufacturers from frivolous lawsuits.
* Removed restrictions on concealed handgun permit holders.
* Pushed through legislation that allowed the state to fire school boards and school superintendents in school districts that were chronically performing badly.
* When faced with a $227 million deficit for fiscal year 2002, refused to call for a tax increase and instead called for a massive cut in state spending.
"The central message is that the Republican Party has a great future, if we get back to being the party of principle, clarity and conviction. And we're going to do that." ~Mike Huckabee